NMP – N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone abatement and recovery technology
Various industrial coating processes involve the emission into the atmosphere of significant quantities of the solvent NMP (n methyl 2 pyrrolidone or Normal Methyl Pyrrolidone).
NMP is a substance that is highly toxic to reproductive processes (can harm the fetus), causes serious eye and skin irritation, and can cause respiratory irritation. For this reason, the EU has developed specific guidelines to support producers in their efforts to bring their products into compliance with the standards.
Features and benefits of NMP Recovery Technology
For several years now, Brofind® Research and Development Department has specifically focused on developing technologies that can achieve the following goals:
- To reduce atmospheric emissions of n methyl 2 pyrrolidone to the lowest possible values in order to comply with the requirements of the restrictive legislation, which is the first to be based on DNEL levels.
- Purify NMP solvent for safe reuse, even in the most sophisticated productions
- Optimize the energy needs of the recovery process and reduce the final cost of Pirrolidone recovered by the user
BROFIND®‘s expertise in the field of recovery and reuse of industrial solvents comes from the personal history of its founders, which dates back to the ’70s. Our synergy of condensation groups, rotor concentrator units, and distillation columns ensures that all NMP economic and ecological requirements are met at cost and with speed.
Operating principles of NMP solvent recovery units
All of our solvent recovery units, besides being ecological devices that drastically reduce pollutants in the atmosphere, are also proper industrial plants.
What are the main elements of the recovery unit?
Emissions treatment plants for NMP recovery generally consist of three sections:
- Solvent recovery – Condenses the solvent into a liquid after emission by the coating machine. Hot air returned to the drying section of coating already provides some economic benefit. The condensed solvent, however, does not yet have the required purity characteristics to be directly reused in the coating process.
- Air purification – Limits to a minimum the quantities and concentrations of solvent emitted into the atmosphere. Thanks to one or more rotor concentrator units, emissions can reach below even 2 mg/Nm3 , and the recovery efficiency of the solvent increases.
- Distillation – Makes the solvent reusable in the production process. The purity characteristics required in this application are very high and therefore the process is not simple. Deep know-how and long experience are needed to achieve optimal results.
Typical applications and target sectors of NMP
NMP is a solvent that is used widely in the manufacture and production of electronics, petrochemical products, polymers and other specialty chemicals.
Choosing Brofind means:
- Customer assistance 24/7
- Impartiality in recommending pollution control technologies since Brofind is owner of many of them
- Experience in the design and manufacturing of abatement plants since 1993
See the page dedicated to Brofind services to understand how we support our customers during the entire lifecycle of the product.